‘The best classroom and the richest cupboard are roofed only by the sky’. Margaret McMillan
At LJS, we are proud to offer our children a fantastic Forest School experience, within our own school grounds. We understand the huge benefits of Forest School and its positive impact on a child's self-esteem and confidence. Over the 4 years spent with us, children take part in Forest School sessions on a termly rotation and are taught by Mr Marfell - a fully qualified Forest School Practitioner who is supported by Mrs Williamson.
Forest School has 6 principles which guide our practice:
- is a long- term process with frequent and regular sessions rather than a one-off visit
- takes place in a natural wooded environment supporting the development of a relationship between the learner and the natural world
- aims to promote the holistic development of all those involved, fostering resilient, confident, independent and creative learners
- offers learners the opportunity to take supported risks appropriate to the environment and to themselves
- is run by qualified Forest School Practitioners who continuously maintain and develop their professional practice
- uses a range of learner-centred processes to create a community for development and learning
Forest School takes place whatever the weather (unless extreme) so all pupils are required to wear appropriate clothing for their own safety. Unfortunately, if a child does not have the correct clothing they will not be able to take part in the session. Reminders of what to wear are always in our weekly newsletter.